Monday, July 13, 2009

heat.....................

It is hot in Japan right now.

The usual response I get to this is, "yeah, it's hot here in Michigan too!"

No. No, it's not.


Some parts of America are this hot. Ever been to Florida during the summer? That's about what it's like right now. It's nasty humid every day. The buildings have no insulation, so you can't escape the humidity. The air is so thick you're practically swimming in it.

I'm still working right now. In Japan, their summer break doesn't start until mid July. I don't have a car, so I have to walk or bike to all of my schools. By the time I make it to work, I'm drenched in sweat. To make things worse, none of my schools have air conditioning. At most, sometimes the staff room has air conditioning. Sadly, they almost never turn it on.

My poor students can't concentrate at all. They'll fan themselves with their books until they give up and pass out at their desks. No one should be expected to learn anything under these conditions. Let these kids go on break already!

When I'm not at work, I go into hibernation mode. Jonny and I mostly stay at home under the air conditioning. I've also grown a love for ice cold showers.

Next summer, Jonny and I are either taking a trip home or way up north in Hokkaido!

No comments: